No, I’m not homesick.
I’m just in love……….with Dierks Bentley’s new album!!!
It’s been 2 years since Up on the Ridge, so I’ve been anxiously awaiting this album that came out on Tuesday the 7th. “Am I the Only One” and the title track “Home” were released in March and November respectively of last year. “Am I the Only One” was a #1 hit and also went Gold. I’m sure “Home” isn’t too far behind.
I figured I would show more of my Dixie side (as you can tell by now) and just give a quick song-by-song review. : ]
1. Am I the Only One – such a fun song! All his buddies have excuses for why they can’t go out one Friday night. This will definitely put you in a good mood. The music video is great too! Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkzp7Gp2kEU&ob=av2e
2. Gonna Die Young – Dierks is great at his lyrical analogies. This chick is definitely a showstopper who’s destined to make him die young. If I’m not mistaken this song was co-written with Eric Paslay.
3. Tip It On Back – The more I listen to this album, the more this song becomes my favorite. It’s sort of a drinking song, but it’s more mellow with a lot of steel guitar and has a more relaxing vibe than Eric Church’s “Drink In My Hand.”
4. Home – All I can say is this one of the best “America” songs that’s been produced (sorry, Toby Keith). If we ever changed our national anthem, we would have to change it to “Home.” Another great music vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSJoZiB-UGY&ob=av2e
5. Diamonds Make Babies – Dierks’ warning to his soon-to-be-engaged guy fans that that little (or large) diamond is gonna lead to babies -> mommas -> mommas making the daddies change their ways.
6. In My Head – This song reminds me a lot of a Luke Bryan song. It’s about the feeling of still having the ex-girlfriend around even when she’s moved on.
7. Breath You In – Dierks has had some AMAZING love songs (Come a Little Closer, Draw Me a Map, I Wanna Make You Close Your Eyes, etc.), and this is no exception. Just listen to it. My words can’t do it justice.
8. The Woods – Somewhat reminiscent of “Up on the Ridge.” Talking about a hangout he and his buddies have spent a lot of time in (a spot in the woods).
9. When You Gonna Come Around – Great duet with Karen Fairchild from Little Big Town about when a relationship is going to make steps forward.
10. 5-1-5-0 – Ok, I’ve had this song stuck in my head for a couple days now. It’s really catchy and fun. Once again, this girl is hot enough that you’re gonna have to call the po-po since Dierks is going crazy for her.
11. Heart of a Lonely Girl – This song references the wives of those who are out on the road and get lonely when their husbands are out on tour. “The hurtenest thing in the whole wide world is the heart of a lonely girl.”
12. Thinking of You – I tweeted @DierksBentley that this was my early favorite (you can see his reply here:https://twitter.com/#!/DierksBentley/status/166918851949379585 : D made my day). It’s one of the sweetest of his tracks on the album. As far as I can tell it was written to his daughter, Evie. She actually sings the chorus if you listen all the way to the end. She performed it with him at his Ryman show earlier this week that you can find on YouTube. I’m absolutely floored by this song.
Sorry this was super long, but I’m going to try to post more regularly. I basically just had this album on repeat all day Tuesday, and I thought I’d have a go at album reviewing. Thanks y’all! : ]